Date:   Fri, 17 Nov 2017 09:43:28 -0600
From:   Ashlie Martinez <ashmrtn@...xas.edu>
To:     Theodore Tso <tytso@....edu>,
        Vijay Chidambaram <vvijay03@...il.com>,
        Ext4 <linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: ext4 fix for interaction between i_size, fallocate, and delalloc
 after a crash

Hi Ted,

I've been looking into the bug Amir Goldstein found (way back in
August) as well as the patch you created for it. After examining both
the patch and some the code for delayed allocation and fallocate, I
find that I don't understand what is actually going on to cause the
bug. I'll outline what I've found so far below. Maybe you can help me
fill in some of the gaps or point me in the right direction if I've
made a mistake.

Delayed allocation:
Delayed allocation is enabled if the `da` set of aops is used in the
ext4 code (set sometime close to file system mount time). When a
delayed allocation write occurs, a function higher up the storage
stack calls into ext4_da_write_begin. This function will go through
the rb tree representing the extents for a file and either 1. find
blocks already allocated that can be used for the write or 2. reserve
space in the extent tree. The bh returned from this function informs
later code about whether preexisting blocks were found or if space was
reserved. ext4_da_write_begin also appears to create a journal handle
(with a handle on the stack), but never closes the handle unless an
error occurs.

After ext4_da_write_begin, control returns to some functions higher in
the storage stack before going into ext4_da_write_end. This function
conditionally updates the i_disksize value of the file if non-delay
allocated extents were used and the file size was extended. It also
closes the journal handle opened in ext4_da_begin write. Furthermore,
it calls generic_write_end.

generic_write_end updates the i_size value if needed, and also marks
the inode as dirty. By marking the inode as dirty, a bdi_writeback is
scheduled later that will call ext4_writepages.

ext4_writepages resolves the delayed allocation block mappings and
updates i_disksize as needed. Each update to the extent tree on disk
and i_disksize is done using a single journal handle.

fallocate (just fallocate to change the file size, not to collapse
ranges or anything else):
fallocate will check if offset + len > the current i_size value and,
if it is, set new_size. Later, in a call to ext4_alloc_file_blocks
(which modifies the extent tree, using a journal handle it makes, for
the fallocate call), new_size is checked to determine if i_disksize
needs to be updated, and, if it does, it writes that update to the
current journal handle. Otherwise, no update to i_disksize is made.

zero_range:
The main portion of zero_range appears to be copy/paste from fallocate
code. However, one notable difference is that is has the possibility
of opening three different journal handles (2 from calls to
ext4_alloc_file_blocks, and one later in zero_range for writing out
blocks and the updated inode size. In this function, new_size is used
to update i_disksize in both the calls to ext4_alloc_file_blocks and
at the bottom of the function (so they will all either update
i_disksize or not update it).

What I don't really understand from the above is how the patch for
Amir's bug fixes the bug. It appears that what is happening in the bug
is an old value of i_disksize is being persisted while a new extent
tree is being persisted. I am confused how adding an extra clause to
the if statement in fallocate and zero_range (which causes new_size to
be set on more conditions) later translates into correct behavior. It
seems like in order to get incorrect behavior in the first place, you
would have to have the file size updated in a different journal
transaction than the extent tree so that, on replay, one is updated
but the other is not. Another piece of the puzzle I am missing is when
the extent tree is journaled in fallocate and zero_range. I can
clearly see the i_disksize updates being journaled in the call to
ext4_mark_inode_dirty, but it doesn't appear that that function also
persists the extent tree.

Could you give me any clarifications on when the extent tree is
journaled and some more of the logic behind the patch for Amir's bug?

Thanks,
Ashlie