Date:   Mon, 29 Oct 2018 23:30:41 -0700
From:   Dan Williams <dan.j.williams@...el.com>
To:     david <david@...morbit.com>
Cc:     Jan Kara <jack@...e.cz>, jmoyer <jmoyer@...hat.com>,
        Johannes Thumshirn <jthumshirn@...e.de>,
        Dave Jiang <dave.jiang@...el.com>,
        linux-nvdimm <linux-nvdimm@...ts.01.org>,
        Linux MM <linux-mm@...ck.org>,
        linux-ext4 <linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org>,
        linux-xfs <linux-xfs@...r.kernel.org>,
        Linux API <linux-api@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: Problems with VM_MIXEDMAP removal from /proc/<pid>/smaps

On Thu, Oct 18, 2018 at 5:58 PM Dave Chinner <david@...morbit.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 18, 2018 at 04:55:55PM +0200, Jan Kara wrote:
> > >
> > > I think you are conflating current implementation with API
> > > requirements - MAP_SYNC doesn't guarantee anything about page cache
> > > use. The man page definition simply says "supported only for files
> > > supporting DAX" and that it provides certain data integrity
> > > guarantees. It does not define the implementation.
> > >
> > > We've /implemented MAP_SYNC/ as O_DSYNC page fault behaviour,
> > > because that's the only way we can currently provide the required
> > > behaviour to userspace. However, if a filesystem can use the page
> > > cache to provide the required functionality, then it's free to do
> > > so.
> > >
> > > i.e. if someone implements a pmem-based page cache, MAP_SYNC data
> > > integrity could be provided /without DAX/ by any filesystem using
> > > that persistent page cache. i.e. MAP_SYNC really only requires
> > > mmap() of CPU addressable persistent memory - it does not require
> > > DAX. Right now, however, the only way to get this functionality is
> > > through a DAX capable filesystem on dax capable storage.
> > >
> > > And, FWIW, this is pretty much how NOVA maintains DAX w/ COW - it
> > > COWs new pages in pmem and attaches them a special per-inode cache
> > > on clean->dirty transition. Then on data sync, background writeback
> > > or crash recovery, it migrates them from the cache into the file map
> > > proper via atomic metadata pointer swaps.
> > >
> > > IOWs, NOVA provides the correct MAP_SYNC semantics by using a
> > > separate persistent per-inode write cache to provide the correct
> > > crash recovery semantics for MAP_SYNC.
> >
> > Corect. NOVA would be able to provide MAP_SYNC semantics without DAX. But
> > effectively it will be also able to provide MAP_DIRECT semantics, right?
>
> Yes, I think so. It still needs to do COW on first write fault,
> but then the app has direct access to the data buffer until it is
> cleaned and put back in place. The "put back in place" is just an
> atomic swap of metadata pointers, so it doesn't need the page cache
> at all...
>
> > Because there won't be DRAM between app and persistent storage and I don't
> > think COW tricks or other data integrity methods are that interesting for
> > the application.
>
> Not for the application, but the filesystem still wants to support
> snapshots and other such functionality that requires COW. And NOVA
> doesn't have write-in-place functionality at all - it always COWs
> on the clean->dirty transition.
>
> > Most users of O_DIRECT are concerned about getting close
> > to media speed performance and low DRAM usage...
>
> *nod*

> > > SIimilar to O_DIRECT, these semantics do not allow userspace apps to
> > > replace msync/fsync with CPU cache flush operations. So any
> > > application that uses this mode still needs to use either MAP_SYNC
> > > or issue msync/fsync for data integrity.
> > >
> > > If the app is using MAP_DIRECT, the what do we do if the filesystem
> > > can't provide the required semantics for that specific operation? In
> [...]

The hard guarantee requirement still remains though because an
application that expects combined MAP_SYNC|MAP_DIRECT semantics will
be surprised if the MAP_DIRECT property silently disappears. I think
it still makes some sense as a hint for apps that want to minimize
page cache, but for the applications with a flush from userspace model
I think that wants to be an F_SETLEASE / F_DIRECTLCK operation. This
still gives the filesystem the option to inject page-cache at will,
but with an application coordination point.