Date:   Mon, 14 Jan 2019 09:42:44 +1100
From:   Dave Chinner <david@...morbit.com>
To:     Kurt Miller <kurt@...ricatesoftware.com>
Cc:     linux-xfs@...r.kernel.org, linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org,
        linux-block@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Block device flush ordering

[ cc'd linux-block@...r.kernel.org, where questions about block
device behaviour are better directed. ]

On Thu, Jan 10, 2019 at 09:30:01AM -0500, Kurt Miller wrote:
> For a well behaved block device that has a writeback cache,
> what is the proper behavior of flush when there are more
> then one outstanding flush operations? Is it;
>
> Flush all writes seen since the last flush.
> or
> Flush all writes received prior to the flush including
> those before any prior flush.
>
> For example take the following order of requests presented
> to the block device:
>
> 	writes 1-5
> 	flush 1
> 	write 6
> 	flush 2
>
> Can flush 2 finish with success as soon as write 6 is flushed
> (which may be before flush 1 success)? Or must it wait for
> all prior write operations to flush (writes 1-6)?

Don't take what I say as gospel, but according to block/blk-flush.c:

 * Currently, the following conditions are used to determine when to issue
 * flush.
 *
 * C1. At any given time, only one flush shall be in progress.  This makes
 *     double buffering sufficient.

However, flushes can be deferred and re-ordered vs other non-flush
write IO dispatch. As such, the rules we work to with filesystems is
that a flush only guarantees IO that is already completed will be
written to stable storage.  i.e. the filesystem has to wait for IO
completion of a write IO it needs to be stable before it can issue
(and wait for) a flush that will guarantee that it is on stable
storage.

IOWs, if your above scenario is:

	submit writes 1-5
	flush 1
	submit write 6
	writes 1,3,5 complete
	flush 2
	writes 2,4,6 complete

Then flush 1 does not guarantee any of the writes are on stable
storage. They *may* be on stable storage if the timing is right, but
it is not guaranteed by the OS code. Likewise, flush 2 only
guarantees writes 1, 3 and 5 are on stable storage becase they are
the only writes that have been signalled as complete when flush 2
was submitted.

Cheers,

Dave.
--