Date:   Sun, 17 Mar 2019 23:51:28 +0100
From:   Ede Wolf <listac@...elschwaden.de>
To:     linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: e2fsck fails on non journalled partition

 > I'm still really wondering how this could have happened, though...

Not sure wether this is an explanation, but I suspect the SSD to be in a
dying state. It's really old (5 years at least, probably even more) and
has been used for tempfiles and caching for at least the last 3 years,
so it has seen quite a bit of IO by now.

Further, currently after each mount tune2fs reports a "not clean"
Filesystem state. I can fsck it all I want, mount it and after not too
long time the state changes from clean.

Smartctl however logs no errors so far.

But, the journal inode and UUID are still at zero - or non existing -
and it mounts cleanly even with a unclean state:

  EXT4-fs (sdd1): mounted filesystem without journal. Opts: noacl

In case it helps, one more tune2fs output, otherwise sorry for the noise:

tune2fs 1.44.5 (15-Dec-2018)
Filesystem volume name:   USERDATA
Last mounted on:          /mnt/userdata
Filesystem UUID:          241d6272-a004-44ef-9998-7fbc3ef98972
Filesystem magic number:  0xEF53
Filesystem revision #:    1 (dynamic)
Filesystem features:      ext_attr resize_inode dir_index filetype
extent 64bit large_dir sparse_super large_file
Filesystem flags:         signed_directory_hash
Default mount options:    user_xattr acl
Filesystem state:         not clean
Errors behavior:          Continue
Filesystem OS type:       Linux
Inode count:              4669440
Block count:              9338880
Reserved block count:     0
Overhead blocks:          1536
Free blocks:              5576918
Free inodes:              4246457
First block:              0
Block size:               4096
Fragment size:            4096
Group descriptor size:    64
Reserved GDT blocks:      1024
Blocks per group:         32768
Fragments per group:      32768
Inodes per group:         16384
Inode blocks per group:   1024
Filesystem created:       Wed Jan 30 18:42:35 2019
Last mount time:          Sun Mar 17 15:08:30 2019
Last write time:          Sun Mar 17 15:08:30 2019
Mount count:              2
Maximum mount count:      -1
Last checked:             Sun Mar 17 01:17:43 2019
Check interval:           0 (<none>)
Lifetime writes:          206 GB
Reserved blocks uid:      0 (user root)
Reserved blocks gid:      0 (group root)
First inode:              11
Inode size:	          256
Required extra isize:     32
Desired extra isize:      32
Default directory hash:   half_md4
Directory Hash Seed:      2416ec00-bef9-437a-a3b1-f626303d72a2

However, I am quite thankful that the kernel has let me mount this drive
until the issue was resolved.  And I am aware I can remove the noacl
option from fstab.

Thanks again.

Ede