Date:   Fri, 16 Aug 2019 21:23:24 +0800
From:   Joseph Qi <joseph.qi@...ux.alibaba.com>
To:     Jan Kara <jack@...e.cz>, Joseph Qi <jiangqi903@...il.com>
Cc:     Dave Chinner <david@...morbit.com>,
        Andreas Dilger <adilger@...ger.ca>,
        Theodore Ts'o <tytso@....edu>,
        Ext4 Developers List <linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org>,
        Xiaoguang Wang <xiaoguang.wang@...ux.alibaba.com>,
        Liu Bo <bo.liu@...ux.alibaba.com>
Subject: Re: [RFC] performance regression with "ext4: Allow parallel DIO
 reads"

Hi Jan,
Thanks for your reply.

On 19/8/15 23:13, Jan Kara wrote:
> On Tue 30-07-19 09:34:39, Joseph Qi wrote:

>>> I suspect that the second part of this set of mods that Jan had
>>> planned to do (on the write side to use shared locking as well)
>>> did not happen and so the DIO writes are serialising the workload.
>>>

>> Thanks for the inputs, Dave.
>> Hi Jan, Could you please confirm this?
>> If so, should we revert this commit at present?
>
> Sorry for getting to you only now. I was on vacation and then catching up
> with various stuff. I suppose you are not using dioread_nolock mount
> option, are you? Can you check what are your results with that mount
> option?

Yes, I've just used default mount options when testing. And it is indeed
that there is performance improvement with dioread_nolock after reverting
the 3 related commits.
I'll do a supplementary test with parallel dio reads as well as
dioread_nolock and send out the test result.

> I have hard time remembering what I was thinking those couple years back
> but I think the plan was to switch to dioread_nolock always but somehow I
> didn't finish that and now I forgot where I got stuck because I don't see
> any problem with that currently.
Do you mean mark dioread_nolock as default?

Thanks,
Joseph