Date:   Mon, 26 Aug 2019 13:10:17 -0600
From:   Andreas Dilger <adilger@...ger.ca>
To:     Jan Kara <jack@...e.cz>
Cc:     Dave Chinner <david@...morbit.com>,
        Joseph Qi <joseph.qi@...ux.alibaba.com>,
        "Theodore Y. Ts'o" <tytso@....edu>,
        Joseph Qi <jiangqi903@...il.com>,
        Ext4 Developers List <linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org>,
        Xiaoguang Wang <xiaoguang.wang@...ux.alibaba.com>,
        Liu Bo <bo.liu@...ux.alibaba.com>
Subject: Re: [RFC] performance regression with "ext4: Allow parallel DIO
 reads"

On Aug 26, 2019, at 2:39 AM, Jan Kara <jack@...e.cz> wrote:

> On Sat 24-08-19 12:18:40, Dave Chinner wrote:

>>> Agree. Maybe I've misled you in my previous mails.I meant shared
>>> lock makes worse in case of mixed random read/write, since we
>>> would always take inode lock during write.  And it also conflicts
>>> with dioread_nolock. It won't take any inode lock before with
>>> dioread_nolock during read, but now it always takes a shared
>>> lock.
>>
>> No, you didn't mislead me. IIUC, the shared locking was added to the
>> direct IO read path so that it can't run concurrently with
>> operations like hole punch that free the blocks the dio read might
>> currently be operating on (use after free).
>>
>> i.e. the shared locking fixes an actual bug, but the performance
>> regression is a result of only partially converting the direct IO
>> path to use shared locking. Only half the job was done from a
>> performance perspective. Seems to me that the two options here to
>> fix the performance regression are to either finish the shared
>> locking conversion, or remove the shared locking on read and re-open
>> a potential data exposure issue...
>
> We actually had a separate locking mechanism in ext4 code to avoid stale
> data exposure during hole punch when unlocked DIO reads were running. But
> it was kind of ugly and making things complex. I agree we need to move ext4
> DIO path conversion further to avoid taking exclusive lock when we won't
> actually need it.

It seems to me that the right solution for the short term is to revert
the patch in question, since that appears to be incomplete, and reverting
it will restore the performance.  I haven't seen any comments posted with
a counter-example that the original patch actually improved performance,
or that reverting it will cause some other performance regression.

We can then leave implementing a more complete solution to a later kernel.

Cheers, Andreas

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (874 bytes)