Date:   Thu, 28 Nov 2019 23:43:14 -0500
From:   Meng Xu <mengxu.gatech@...il.com>
To:     "Theodore Y. Ts'o" <tytso@....edu>
Cc:     linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: potential data race on ext_inode_hdr(inode)->eh_depth,
 ext_inode_hdr(inode)->eh_max between a creat and unlink syscall

Hi Ted,

First, thank you for checking this out.

I hook every memory access in the kernel so I know that the [READ] and
[WRITE] are accessing to the exact same memory address. Plus, this
access cannot be from two malloc-ed inode because we replaced kfree
with a quarantine scheme like KASan so they two inodes will have to
have two different addresses. This is what confused me too.

In addition, just in case it may make a difference, there is an fsync
happening on another thread too. The three threads are like:

[Setup]
mkdir("foo", 511) = 0;
open("foo", 65536, 511) = 3;
creat("bar", 511) = 4;
symlink("foo", "sym_foo") = 0;
open("sym_foo", 65536, 511) = 5;
dup2(5, 195) = 195;

[Thread 0: fsync(195)]
[Thread 1: creat("bar", 438)]
[Thread 2: unlink("sym_foo")]

Or in orders observed at runtime:
Enter fsync(195);
Enter unlink("sym_foo");
Enter creat("bar", 438);

Exit unlink("sym_foo");
Exit creat("bar", 438);
Exit fsync(195);

I can provide more information (eg, other function calls on the trace
or memory access logs), if that would help in checking this case. And
I am sorry for wasting your time if this case does not make sense.

Best regards,
Meng