Date:   Wed, 29 Jan 2020 06:35:41 +0200
From:   Jaco Kroon <jaco@....co.za>
To:     Andreas Dilger <adilger@...ger.ca>
Cc:     linux-ext4 <linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: e2fsck fails with unable to set superblock

Hi,

Inode 181716301 block 33554947 conflicts with critical metadata,
skipping block checks.
Inode 181716301 block 524296 conflicts with critical metadata, skipping
block checks.
Inode 181716301 block 2 conflicts with critical metadata, skipping block
checks.
Inode 181716301 block 294 conflicts with critical metadata, skipping
block checks.
Inode 181716301 block 1247805839 conflicts with critical metadata,
skipping block checks.
Inode 181716301 block 288 conflicts with critical metadata, skipping
block checks.
Inode 181716301 block 103285040 conflicts with critical metadata,
skipping block checks.
Inode 181716301 block 872415232 conflicts with critical metadata,
skipping block checks.
Inode 181716301 block 2560 conflicts with critical metadata, skipping
block checks.
Inode 181716301 block 479199248 conflicts with critical metadata,
skipping block checks.
Inode 181716301 block 1006632963 conflicts with critical metadata,
skipping block checks.
Killed

So the critical block stuff I'm guessing can be expected since a bunch
of those tree structures probably got zeroed too.

It got killed because it ran out of RAM (OOM killer), 32GB physical +
16GB swap.  I've extended swap to 512GB now and restarted.  It's
probably overkill (I hope).

Any ideas on what might be consuming the RAM like this?   Unfortunately
my scroll-back doesn't go back far enough to see what other inodes if
any are also affected.  I've restarted with 2>&1 | tee /var/tmp/fsck.txt
now.

Happy to go hunting to look for possible optimization ideas here ...

Another idea is to use debugfs to mark inode 181716301 as deleted, but
I'm not sure that's safe at this stage?

Kind Regards,
Jaco