Date:   Fri, 06 Mar 2020 11:41:45 -0800
From:   James Bottomley <James.Bottomley@...senPartnership.com>
To:     Chris Mason <clm@...com>, Josef Bacik <josef@...icpanda.com>
Cc:     lsf-pc <lsf-pc@...ts.linuxfoundation.org>,
        Linux FS Devel <linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org>,
        linux-mm@...ck.org, linux-xfs@...r.kernel.org,
        Btrfs BTRFS <linux-btrfs@...r.kernel.org>, bpf@...r.kernel.org,
        linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org, linux-block@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [LSFMMBPF TOPIC] long live LFSMMBPF

On Fri, 2020-03-06 at 14:27 -0500, Chris Mason wrote:
> On 6 Mar 2020, at 9:35, Josef Bacik wrote:
[...]
> > 4) Planning becomes much simpler.  I've organized miniconf's at
> > plumbers before, it is far simpler than LSFMMBPF.  You only have
> > to worry about one thing, is this presentation useful.  I no longer
> > have to worry about am I inviting the right people, do we have
> > enough money to cover the space.  Is there enough space for
> > everybody?  Etc.
>
> We’ve talked about working closely with KS, Plumbers and the
> Linuxfoundation to make a big picture map of the content and
> frequency  for these confs.

And, lest anyone think we all operate in isolation, we do get together
periodically to discuss venues, selection and combination.  The last
big in-person meeting on this topic was at Plumbers in Vancouver in
2019, where we had Plumbers, KS/MS, LSF/MM and the LF conference people
all represented.

>   I’m sure Angela is having a busy few weeks, but lets work with her
> to schedule this and talk it through.  OSS is a good fit  in terms of
> being flexible enough to fit us in, hopefully we can make  that work.

And, for everyone who gave us feedback in the Plumbers surveys that co-
locating with a big conference is *not* what you want because of
various problems like hallway track disruptions due to other conference
traffic and simply the difficulty of finding people, the current model
under consideration is one conference organization (the LF) but two
separate venues, sort of like OpenStack used to do for their big
conference and design summit to minimize disruption and increase
developer focus.

James