Date:   Thu, 17 Sep 2020 12:47:16 -0700
From:   Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
To:     Matthew Wilcox <willy@...radead.org>
Cc:     Michael Larabel <Michael@...haellarabel.com>,
        Matthieu Baerts <matthieu.baerts@...sares.net>,
        Amir Goldstein <amir73il@...il.com>,
        "Ted Ts'o" <tytso@...gle.com>,
        Andreas Dilger <adilger.kernel@...ger.ca>,
        Ext4 Developers List <linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org>,
        Jan Kara <jack@...e.cz>,
        linux-fsdevel <linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: Kernel Benchmarking

On Thu, Sep 17, 2020 at 12:27 PM Matthew Wilcox <willy@...radead.org> wrote:

> Ah, I see what you mean.  Hold the i_mmap_rwsem for write across,
> basically, the entirety of truncate_inode_pages_range().

I really suspect that will be entirely unacceptable for latency
reasons, but who knows. In practice, nobody actually truncates a file
_while_ it's mapped, that's just crazy talk.

But almost every time I go "nobody actually does this", I tend to be
surprised by just how crazy some loads are, and it turns out that
_somebody_ does it, and has a really good reason for doing odd things,
and has been doing it for years because it worked really well and
solved some odd problem.

So the "hold it for the entirety of truncate_inode_pages_range()"
thing seems to be a really simple approach, and nice and clean, but it
makes me go "*somebody* is going to do bad things and complain about
page fault latencies".

              Linus