Date:   Tue, 29 Sep 2020 16:37:13 +0200
From:   Lukas Czerner <lczerner@...hat.com>
To:     linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Subject: State of dump utility

Hello,

lately we've had couple of bugs against dump utility and a after a quick
look at the code I realized that it is very much outdated at least on
the extN side of things and would need some work and attention to make it
work reliably with modern ext4 features.

However the code has been neglected for a while and talking to the
maintainer he is pretty much done with it. At this point I am ready to
pull the plug on dump/restore in Fedora, but before I do I was wondering
whether there is any interest in moving dump/restore, or part of it, into
e2fsprogs ?

I have not looked at the code close enought to say whether it's worth it
or whether it would be better to write something from scratch. There is
also a question about what to do with the tape code - that's not
something I have any interest in digging into.

In my eyes dump had a good run and I would be happy just dumping it, but
it is worth asking here on the list. Is there anyone interested in
maintaining dump/restore, or is there interest in or objections agains
merging it into e2fsprogs ?

Thanks!
-Lukas