Date:   Tue, 9 Feb 2021 14:47:28 +0100
From:   Alexander Lochmann <alexander.lochmann@...dortmund.de>
To:     Jan Kara <jack@...e.cz>
Cc:     tytso@....edu, Jan Kara <jack@...e.com>,
        Horst Schirmeier <horst.schirmeier@...dortmund.de>,
        linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [RFC] Fine-grained locking documentation for jbd2 data structures

On 09.02.21 13:00, Jan Kara wrote:
>>> Yes, although in last year, people try to convert these unlocked reads to
>>> READ_ONCE() or similar as otherwise the compiler is apparently allowed to
>>> generate code which is not safe. But that's a different story.
>> Is this ongoing work?
>
> Yes, in a way. It's mostly prompted by KCSAN warnings generated by syzbot
> ;).
>
>> Using such a macro would a) make our work much easier as we can instrument
>> them, and b) would tell less experienced developers that no locking is
>> needed.
>
> Yes, I agree that it has some benefit for documentation and automatic
> checkers as well. OTOH code readability is sometimes hurt by this...
>
>> Does the usage of READ_ONCE() imply that no lock is needed?
>
> No, but it does indicate there's something unusual happening with the
> variable - usually that variable write can race with this read.
>
>> Otherwise, one could introduce another macro for jbd2, such as #define
>> READ_UNLOCKED() READ_ONCE(), which is more precise.
>
> Well, yes, but OTOH special macros for small subsystems like this are making
> more harm than good in terms of readability since people have to lookup
> what exactly they mean anyway.
So the only option left would be a global macro such as READ_ONCE() I guess.
How hard would it be to establish such a global notation?
It would make things a lot easier for LockDoc, because we can instrument
such a macro, and therefore can annotate those accesses.>
> Definitely. The simplest case is: You can fetch
> journal->j_running_transaction pointer any time without any problem. But
> you can *dereference* it only if you hold the j_state_lock while fetching the
> pointer and dereferencing it.
Thx.

>> So sometimes requiring the lock is just the least
>>> problematic solution - there's always the tradeoff between the speed and
>>> simplicity.

>>> I've checked the code and we usually use unlocked reads for quick, possibly
>>> racy checks and if they indicate we may need to do something then take the
>>> lock and do a reliable check. This is quite common pattern, not sure how to
>>> best document this. Maybe like [j_state_lock, no lock for quick racy checks]?
>>>
>> Yeah, I'm fine with that. Does this rule apply for the other members of
>> journal_t (and transaction_t?) listed above?
>
> Yes.
Thx. I'll submit a patch for those elements.
For now, this will improve LockDoc's results as we can add "no locks
needed" to our config for j_flags. We check whether the observed
accesses match the documented locking rules.
LockDoc will accept both results "j_list_lock" and "no locks needed" for
reading j_flags.
However, real faulty unlocked accesses will be concealed. :-(

- Alex

--
Technische Universität Dortmund
Alexander Lochmann                PGP key: 0xBC3EF6FD

Download attachment "OpenPGP_signature" of type "application/pgp-signature" (841 bytes)