Date:   Sat, 18 Sep 2021 09:15:22 +1000
From:   Dave Chinner <david@...morbit.com>
To:     "Darrick J. Wong" <djwong@...nel.org>
Cc:     Amir Goldstein <amir73il@...il.com>, Jan Kara <jack@...e.cz>,
        xfs <linux-xfs@...r.kernel.org>,
        linux-ext4 <linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org>,
        linux-btrfs <linux-btrfs@...r.kernel.org>,
        Christian Brauner <christian.brauner@...ntu.com>
Subject: Re: Shameless plug for the FS Track at LPC next week!

On Fri, Sep 17, 2021 at 09:12:17AM -0700, Darrick J. Wong wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 17, 2021 at 01:23:08PM +0300, Amir Goldstein wrote:

> > > And now I'm actually replying to Amir :-p

Hmmm. So once it's created, it can't be changed without first
deleting all the data in the tree?

What does this mean? Defining behaviour.semantics in terms of it's
implementation is ambiguous and open for interpretation.

I *think* the intent here is that tree ids are unique and can only
be applied to a single tree, but...

And, of course, what happens if we have multiple filesystems? tree
IDs are no longer globally unique across the system, right?

What happens as we traverse mount points within a tree? If the quota
applies to directory trees, then there are going to be directory
tree constructs that don't obviously follow this behaviour. e.g.
bind mounts from one directory tree to another, both having
different tree IDs.

Which then makes me question: are inodes and inode flags the right
place to track and propagate these tree IDs? Isn't the tree ID as
defined here a property of the path structure rather than a property
of the inode?  Should we actually be looking at a new directory tree
ID tracking behaviour at, say, the vfs-mount+dentry level rather
than the inode level?

The current directory tree quotas disallow this because of
implementation difficulties (e.g. avoiding recursive chproj inside
the kernel as part of rename()) and so would punt the operations too
difficult to do in the kernel back to userspace. They are not
intended to implement container boundaries in any way, shape or
form. Container boundaries need to use a proper access control
mechanism, not rely on side effects of difficult-to-implement low
level accounting mechanisms to provide access restriction.

Indeed, why do we want to place restrictions on moving things across
trees if the filesystem can actually do so correctly? Hence I think
this is somewhat inappropriately be commingling container access
restrictions with usage accounting....

I'm certain there will be filesytsems that do disallow rename and
link to punt the problem back up to userspace, but that's an
implementation detail to ensure accounting for the data movement to
a different tree is correct and not a behavioural or access
restriction...

> I'd probably just repurpose the project quota mechanism, which means
> that the xfs treeid is really just project quotas with somewhat
> different behavior rules that are tailored to modern adversarial usage
> models. ;)

Potentially, yes, though I'm yet not convinced a "tree quota" is
actually something we should track at an individual inode
level...

> IIRC someone asked for some sort of change like this on the xfs list
> some years back.  If memory serves, they wanted to prevent non-admin
> userspace from changing project ids, even in the regular user ns?  It
> never got as far as a formal proposal though.
>
> I could definitely see a use case for letting admin processes in a
> container change project ids among only the projids that are idmapped
> into the namespace.

Yup, all we need is a solid definition of how it will work, but
that's always been the point where silence has fallen on the
discussion.

Cheers,

Dave.
--