Date:   Mon, 25 Oct 2021 17:57:13 +0200
From:   Jan Kara <jack@...e.cz>
To:     Zhengyuan Liu <liuzhengyuang521@...il.com>
Cc:     Jan Kara <jack@...e.cz>, viro@...iv.linux.org.uk,
        Andrew Morton <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>, tytso@....edu,
        linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org, linux-mm@...ck.org,
        linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org,
        刘云 <liuyun01@...inos.cn>,
        Zhengyuan Liu <liuzhengyuan@...inos.cn>
Subject: Re: Problem with direct IO

On Sat 23-10-21 10:06:24, Zhengyuan Liu wrote:

> > > I am not sure if it trys to do direct IO to a hole or not, is there any
> > > way to check?  If you have a simple test to reproduce please let me know,
> > > we are glad to try.
> >
> > Can you enable following tracing?
>
> Sure, but let's confirm before doing that, it seems Ext4 doesn't
> support iomap in
> V4.19 which could also reproduce the problem, so if it is necessary to
> do the following
> tracing? or should we modify the tracing if under V4.19?

Well, iomap is just a different generic framework for doing direct IO. The
fact that you can observe the problem both with iomap and the old direct IO
framework is one of the reasons why I think the problem is actually that
the file has holes (unallocated space in the middle).

> > echo 1 >/sys/kernel/debug/tracing/events/ext4/ext4_ind_map_blocks_exit/enable
> > echo iomap_dio_rw >/sys/kernel/debug/tracing/set_ftrace_filter
> > echo "function_graph" >/sys/kernel/debug/tracing/current_tracer

If you want to trace a kernel were ext4 direct IO path is not yet
converted to iomap framework you need to replace tracing of iomap_dio_rw
with:

echo __blockdev_direct_IO >/sys/kernel/debug/tracing/set_ftrace_filter

> > And then gather output from /sys/kernel/debug/tracing/trace_pipe. Once the
> > problem reproduces, you can gather the problematic file name from dmesg, find
> > inode number from "stat <filename>" and provide that all to me? Thanks!

								Honza
--
Jan Kara <jack@...e.com>
SUSE Labs, CR