Date:   Mon, 30 May 2022 10:21:54 -0400
From:   Gabriel Krisman Bertazi <krisman@...labora.com>
To:     "Stephen E. Baker" <baker.stephen.e@...il.com>
Cc:     linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: simplify ext4_sb_read_encoding regression

"Stephen E. Baker" <baker.stephen.e@...il.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I have a Samsung Chromebook Plus (rk3399-gru-kevin) which boots linux
> off an external ssd plugged into USB. The root filesystem is ext4 with
> unicode support, case folding is enabled only on some directories in
> my home directory.
>
> Since 5.17 the system has been unbootable. I ran a git bisect and it
> pointed to aa8bf298a96acaaaa3af07d09cf7ffeb9798e48a ext4: simplify
> ext4_sb_read_encoding

Hi Stephen,

This series moved the UTF-8 data tables to a kernel module; before it,
the module had to be built-in.

Since you have your rootfs as a case-insensitive filesystem, either the
utf8data module needs to be available in the initramfs or unicode
needs to be built-in.  Are you building your own kernel?

Can you confirm that utf8data.ko exists in your initramfs, and
regenerate it if missing?  Alternatively, make sure that you have
CONFIG_UNICODE=y in your kernel configuration file.

If that doesn't work, can you provide the kernel log?  If you can't
collect the console output, a photo of the screen displaying the error
will suffice.

Thank you!

--
Gabriel Krisman Bertazi