Date:   Thu, 23 Jun 2022 14:28:47 -0400
From:   Santosh S <santosh.letterz@...il.com>
To:     Andreas Dilger <adilger@...ger.ca>
Cc:     "Theodore Ts'o" <tytso@....edu>, linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Overwrite faster than fallocate

On Mon, Jun 20, 2022 at 2:50 PM Andreas Dilger <adilger@...ger.ca> wrote:

> On Jun 17, 2022, at 5:56 PM, Santosh S <santosh.letterz@...il.com> wrote:

> >> This is, alas, expected.  The reason for this is because when you use
> >> fallocate, the extent is marked as uninitialized, so that when you
> >> read from the those newly allocated blocks, you don't see previously
> >> written data belonging to deleted files.  These files could contain
> >> someone else's e-mail, or medical information, etc.  So if we didn't
> >> do this, it would be a walking, talking HIPPA or PCI violation.
> >>
> >> So when you write to an fallocated region, and then call fdatasync(2),
> >> we need to update the metadata blocks to clear the uninitialized bit
> >> so that when you read from the file after a crash, you actually get
> >> the data that was written.  So the fdatasync(2) operation is quite the
> >> heavyweight operation, since it requries journal commit because of the
> >> required metadata update.  When you do an overwrite, there is no need
> >> to force a metadata update and journal update, which is why write(2)
> >> plus fdatasync(2) is much lighter weight when you do an overwrite.
> >>
> >> What enterprise databases (e.g., Oracle Enterprise Database and IBM's
> >> Informix DB) tend to do is to use fallocate a chunk of space (say,
> >> 16MB or 32MB), because for Legacy Unix OS's, this tends enable some
> >> file system's block allocators to be more likely to allocate a
> >> contiguous block range, and then immediate write zero's on that 16 or
> >> 32MB, plus a fdatasync(2).  This fdatasync(2) would update the extent
> >> tree once to make that 16MB or 32MB to be marked initialized to the
> >> database's tablespace file, so you only pay the metadata update once,
> >> instead of every few dozen kilobytes as you write each database commit
> >> into the tablespace file.
> >>
> >> There is also an old, out of tree patch which enables an fallocate
> >> mode called "no hide stale", which marks the extent tree blcoks which
> >> are allocated using fallocate(2) as initialized.  This substantially
> >> speeds things up, but it is potentially a walking, talking, HIPPA or
> >> PCI violation in that revealing previously written data is considered
> >> a horrible security violation by most file system developers.
> >>
> >> If you know, say, that a cluster file system is the only user of the
> >> file system, and all data is written encrypted at rest using a
> >> per-user key, such that exposing stale data is not a security
> >> disaster, the "no hide stale" flag could be "safe" in that highly
> >> specialized user case.
> >>
> >> But that assumes that file system authors can trust application
> >> writers not to do something stupid and insecure, and historically,
> >> file system authors (possibly with good reason, given bitter past
> >> experience) don't trust application writesr to do something which is
> >> very easy, and gooses performance, even if it has terrible side
> >> effects on either data robustness or data security.
> >>
> >> Effectively, the no hide stale flag could be considered an "Attractive
> >> Nuisance"[1] and so support for this feature has never been accepted
> [...]
Thank you and sorry for the delay in responding.

What kind of write will stop an uninitialized extent from splitting?
For example, I want to create a file, fallocate 512MB, and zero-fill
it. But I want the file system to only create 4 extents so they all
reside in the inode itself, and each extent represents the entire
128MB (so no splitting).
Even if I do large sized writes, my understanding is that ultimately
the kernel / hardware restrictions will split the the i/o into smaller
chunks thus causing the extent to split. For example, this is what I
see on my test system

# cat /sys/block/nvme1n1/queue/max_hw_sectors_kb
128
# cat /sys/block/nvme1n1/queue/max_sectors_kb
128

Santosh