lists.openwall.net   lists  /  announce  owl-users  owl-dev  john-users  john-dev  passwdqc-users  yescrypt  popa3d-users  /  oss-security  kernel-hardening  musl  sabotage  tlsify  passwords  /  crypt-dev  xvendor  /  Bugtraq  Full-Disclosure  linux-kernel  linux-netdev  linux-ext4  linux-hardening  PHC 
Open Source and information security mailing list archives
 
Hash Suite: Windows password security audit tool. GUI, reports in PDF.
[<prev] [next>] [<thread-prev] [thread-next>] [day] [month] [year] [list]
Date:   Sat, 17 Apr 2021 14:29:50 -0400
From:   Jes Sorensen <jes.sorensen@...il.com>
To:     Kees Cook <keescook@...omium.org>
Cc:     Kalle Valo <kvalo@...eaurora.org>,
        "Gustavo A. R. Silva" <gustavoars@...nel.org>,
        "David S. Miller" <davem@...emloft.net>,
        Jakub Kicinski <kuba@...nel.org>,
        linux-wireless@...r.kernel.org, netdev@...r.kernel.org,
        linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, linux-hardening@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [PATCH RESEND][next] rtl8xxxu: Fix fall-through warnings for
 Clang

On 3/10/21 3:59 PM, Kees Cook wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 10, 2021 at 02:51:24PM -0500, Jes Sorensen wrote:
>> On 3/10/21 2:45 PM, Kees Cook wrote:
>>> On Wed, Mar 10, 2021 at 02:31:57PM -0500, Jes Sorensen wrote:
>>>> On 3/10/21 2:14 PM, Kees Cook wrote:
>>>>> Hm, this conversation looks like a miscommunication, mainly? I see
>>>>> Gustavo, as requested by many others[1], replacing the fallthrough
>>>>> comments with the "fallthrough" statement. (This is more than just a
>>>>> "Clang doesn't parse comments" issue.)
>>>>>
>>>>> This could be a tree-wide patch and not bother you, but Greg KH has
>>>>> generally advised us to send these changes broken out. Anyway, this
>>>>> change still needs to land, so what would be the preferred path? I think
>>>>> Gustavo could just carry it for Linus to merge without bothering you if
>>>>> that'd be preferred?
>>>>
>>>> I'll respond with the same I did last time, fallthrough is not C and
>>>> it's ugly.
>>>
>>> I understand your point of view, but this is not the consensus[1] of
>>> the community. "fallthrough" is a macro, using the GCC fallthrough
>>> attribute, with the expectation that we can move to the C17/C18
>>> "[[fallthrough]]" statement once it is finalized by the C standards
>>> body.
>>
>> I don't know who decided on that, but I still disagree. It's an ugly and
>> pointless change that serves little purpose. We shouldn't have allowed
>> the ugly /* fall-through */ comments in either, but at least they didn't
>> mess with the code. I guess when you give someone an inch, they take a mile.
>>
>> Last time this came up, the discussion was that clang refused to fix
>> their brokenness and therefore this nonsense was being pushed into the
>> kernel. It's still a pointless argument, if clang can't fix it's crap,
>> then stop using it.
>>
>> As Kalle correctly pointed out, none of the previous comments to this
>> were addressed, the patches were just reposted as fact. Not exactly a
>> nice way to go about it either.
> 
> Do you mean changing the commit log to re-justify these changes? I
> guess that could be done, but based on the thread, it didn't seem to
> be needed. The change is happening to match the coding style consensus
> reached to give the kernel the flexibility to move from a gcc extension
> to the final C standards committee results without having to do treewide
> commits again (i.e. via the macro).

No, I am questioning why Gustavo continues to push this nonsense that
serves no purpose whatsoever. In addition he has consistently ignored
comments and just keep reposting it. But I guess that is how it works,
ignore feedback, repost junk, repeat.

Jes

Powered by blists - more mailing lists