Date:   Wed, 1 Jun 2022 21:03:11 +0200
From:   Levente Polyak <levente@...entepolyak.net>
To:     Yann Droneaud <ydroneaud@...eya.com>,
        Simon Brand <simon.brand@...tadigitale.de>,
        kernelnewbies@...nelnewbies.org, linux-hardening@...r.kernel.org,
        kernel-hardening@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Possibility of merge of disable icotl TIOCSTI patch

On 6/1/22 17:41, Yann Droneaud wrote:
>> I would provide a patch which leaves the current behavior as default,
>> but TIOCSTI can be disabled via Kconfig or cmdline switch.
>> Is there any chance this will get merged in 2022, since past
>> attempts failed?

Small side note:

A complete version of Matt's initial patch has lived on in
linux-hardened [0][1] with the `SECURITY_TIOCSTI_RESTRICT` Kconfig
(default no) and a `tiocsti_restrict` sysctl.

If a re-attempt is feasible, both patchs [0][1] could potentially be
re-proposed as is.

In linux-hardened we have an independent patch [2] which simply sets the
default value of `SECURITY_TIOCSTI_RESTRICT` to `yes`, but that most
likely is not desired.

cheers,
Levente

[0]