Date:   Sun, 17 Jul 2022 16:45:08 -0500
From:   Segher Boessenkool <segher@...nel.crashing.org>
To:     Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
Cc:     Sudip Mukherjee <sudipm.mukherjee@...il.com>,
        Michael Ellerman <mpe@...erman.id.au>,
        Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh@...nel.crashing.org>,
        Paul Mackerras <paulus@...ba.org>,
        Kees Cook <keescook@...omium.org>,
        linuxppc-dev <linuxppc-dev@...ts.ozlabs.org>,
        linux-hardening@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: mainline build failure of powerpc allmodconfig for prom_init_check

On Sun, Jul 17, 2022 at 02:11:52PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 17, 2022 at 2:00 PM Segher Boessenkool
> <segher@...nel.crashing.org> wrote:
> > Calling mem* on a volatile object (or a struct containing one) is not
> > valid.  I opened gcc.gnu.org/PR106335.
>
> Well, that very quickly got marked as a duplicate of a decade-old bug.
>
> So I guess we shouldn't expect this to be fixed any time soon.

It shouldn't be all that hard to implement.  GCC wants all ports to
define their own mem* because these functions are so critical for
performance, but it isn't hard to do a straightforward by-field copy
for assignments if using memcpy would not be valid at all.  Also, if
we would have this we could make a compiler flag saying to always
open-code this, getting rid of this annoyance (namely, that extetnal
mem* are required) for -ffreestanding.

> That said, your test-case of copying the whole structure is very
> different from the one in the kernel that works on them one structure
> member at a time.
>
> I can *kind of* see the logic that when you do a whole struct
> assignment, it turns into a "memcpy" without regard for volatile
> members. You're not actually accessing the volatile members in some
> particular order, so the struct assignment arguably does not really
> have an access ordering that needs to be preserved.

The order is not defined, correct.  But a "volatile int" can only be
accessed as an int, and an external memcpy will typically use different
size accesses, and can even access some fields more than once (or
partially); all not okay for a volatile object.

> But the kernel code in question very much does access the members
> individually, and so I think that the compiler quite unequivocally did
> something horribly horribly bad by turning them into a memset.
>
> So I don't think your test-case is really particularly good, and maybe
> that's why that old bug has languished for over a decade - people
> didn't realize just *how* incredibly broken it was.

People haven't looked at my test case for all that time, it sprouted
from my demented mind just minutes ago ;-)  The purpose of writing it
this way was to make sure that memcpy will be called for this (on any
target etc.), not some shorter and/or smarter thing.

I don't know what the real reason is that this bugs hasn't been fixed
yet.  It should be quite easy to make this more correct.  In
<https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/gcc/patch/1408617247-21558-1-git-send-email-james.greenhalgh@arm.com/#843066>
Richard suggested doing it in the frontend, which seems reasonable (but
more work than the patch there).

There have been no follow-up patches as far as I can see :-(

Segher