Date:   Fri, 11 Nov 2022 19:05:23 +1300
From:   Paulo Miguel Almeida <paulo.miguel.almeida.rodenas@...il.com>
To:     "Gustavo A. R. Silva" <gustavoars@...nel.org>
Cc:     Alex Deucher <alexdeucher@...il.com>,
        linux-hardening@...r.kernel.org,
        Christian König <christian.koenig@....com>,
        amd-gfx@...ts.freedesktop.org, dri-devel@...ts.freedesktop.org
Subject: Re: [RFC] Approaches to deal with a struct with multiple fake
 flexible arrays members

On Thu, Nov 10, 2022 at 11:39:02PM -0600, Gustavo A. R. Silva wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 09, 2022 at 10:20:34PM -0500, Alex Deucher wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 9, 2022 at 8:31 PM Paulo Miguel Almeida
> > <paulo.miguel.almeida.rodenas@...il.com> wrote:

> > > Thanks so much for your reply Gustavo
> > > Yep, that's a good idea.

> > > I saw that one too. That would be the way it's currently accessing
> > > asRegDataBuf member as the existing struct would make asRegDataBuf[0] point
> > > to some index within the asRegIndexBuf member (as you probably got it too)
> > >
> > > you are right... asRegDataBuff isn't used from a static analysis
> > > point of view but removing it make the code a bit cryptic, right?
> > >
> > > That's pickle, ay? :-)

> > > Out of curiosity, why both rather than just asRegIndexBuf?
>
> Because if I understand the code and Alex's reply below correctly, both
> arrays are being used to describe data of variable size, and both arrays
> need to stay. The situation is that it'd be _strange_ to transform just
> one of them into a flex-array member and not the other, and at the same

My apologies, I tried being succinct and I ended up mistakenly leading you
to understand a different thing. I will be more careful next time :-)

What I meant was why would you use DECLARE_FLEX_ARRAY macro for both
members instead of the following ?

typedef struct _ATOM_INIT_REG_BLOCK{
   USHORT                           usRegIndexTblSize;
   USHORT                           usRegDataBlkSize;
   DECLARE_FLEX_ARRAY(ATOM_INIT_REG_INDEX_FORMAT, asRegIndexBuf);  // Macro needed
   ATOM_MEMORY_SETTING_DATA_BLOCK   asRegDataBuf[];		   // Regular FMA
}ATOM_INIT_REG_BLOCK;

> On the other hand, I fail to see how the current state of the code is
> problematic for things like -fstrict-flex-arrays, right now. asRegDataBuf[]
> is not being used for anything in the kernel, and asRegIndexBuf[] is
> correctly being accessed through it's only valid index zero, after which
> is decays into a pointer[2].
>
> That struct is definitely not great (I don't love it), but we might try
> to explore other cases while we determine how and if we ultimately need
> to modify it.
>
> I'll open an issue for this in the bug tracker, so we keep an eye on it.
> :)

Fair enough. Thanks heaps Gustavo, I will move on to the other fake flex
array occurences and circle back to it once a decision in made. Please
count on me to make the changes :-)

> > This header describes the layout of memory stored in the ROM on the
> > GPU.  It's shared between vbios and driver so some parts aren't
> > necessarily directly used by the driver.  As for what to do about it,
> > I'm not sure.  This structure stores a set of register offsets
> > (asRegIndexBuf) and data values (asRegDataBuf) for specific operations
> > (e.g., walk this structure and program register X with value Y.  For a
> > little background on atombios, it's a set of data and command tables
> > stored in the vbios ROM image.  The driver has an interpreter for the
> > command tables (see atom.c) so it can parse the command tables to
> > initialize the asic to a usable state.  The various programming
> > sequences vary depending on the components the AIB/OEM uses for the
> > board (different vram vendors, different clock/voltage settings,
> > etc.).  The legacy VGA/VBE and the GOP driver and the OS driver can
> > use these tables, so this allows us to initialize any GPU in a generic
> > way on any architecture even if the platform firmware doesn't post the
> > card.  For the most part the driver doesn't have to deal with these
> > particular tables directly, other than for some very specific cases
> > where the driver needs to grab some elements from the tables to
> > populate the power management controller for GPU memory reclocking
> > parameters.  However, the command tables as interpreted by the parser
> > very often will directly parse these tables.  So you might have a
> > command table that the driver executes to initialize some part of the
> > GPU which ultimately fetches the table from the ROM image and walks it
> > programming registers based on the offset and values in that table.
> > So if you were debugging something that involves the atombios parser
> > and walking through one of the command tables, you may be confused if
> > the data tables don't match what header says.  So ideally, we'd keep
> > both arrays.
>
> Thanks a lot for the input, Alex.
> --
> Gustavo