Date:	Tue, 18 Jul 2006 13:02:17 +0100
From:	Jonathan McDowell <noodles@...th.li>
To:	Sergei Shtylyov <sshtylyov@...mvista.com>
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, linux-ide@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Status of HPT372A driver?

On Mon, Jul 17, 2006 at 11:06:38PM +0400, Sergei Shtylyov wrote:
> >I've had a try with libata and Alan Cox's 2.6.17-ide1 patch (I'd
> >previously tried this and had issues, which turned out to be a faulty
> >drive I think). This seems to get better results (sda is the same drive
> >as was hde earlier):
>
>    I wouldn't be so sure about the faulty drive. ;-)

No, the drive was definitely faulty - I ran the Western Digital test
tool on it and it indicated the drive should be returned for a
replacement.

>    No "HW reset results" -- SATA drives don't have valid word 93 as it
>    seems, and so the eighty_ninty_three() returns 0 meaning that the device
> reports 40c PATA cable.
>    I think you need to try this 2.6.18-rc1 patch from Alan:
>
> http://www.kernel.org/git/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=1a1276e7b6cba549553285f74e87f702bfff6fac

Result! I've applied that patch and now get UDMA(133) reported and
speeds of 45MB/s+, so much better. Thanks!

J.

--
                                            jid: noodles@...ber.earth.li
"Then P=NP, and the world is a happier