Date:	Tue, 18 Jul 2006 08:20:04 -0400
From:	"Dmitry Torokhov" <dmitry.torokhov@...il.com>
To:	"Anssi Hannula" <anssi.hannula@...il.com>
Cc:	linux-input@...ey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: input/eventX permissions, force feedback

Hi Anssi,

On 7/18/06, Anssi Hannula <anssi.hannula@...il.com> wrote:
> Currently most distributions have /dev/input/event* strictly as 0600
> root:root or 0640 root:root. The user logged in will not have rights to
> the device, unlike /dev/input/js*, as he could read all passwords from
> the keyboard device.
>
> This is a problem, because /dev/input/event* is used for force feedback
> and should therefore be user-accessible.
>
> I can think of the following solutions to this problem:
>
> 1. Some creative udev rule to chmod /dev/input/event* less strictly when
> it has a /dev/input/js* and is thus a gaming device.
>
> 2. Some creative udev rule to chmod /dev/input/event* more strictly when
> it is a keyboard.
>
> 3. Have another force feedback interface also in /dev/input/js*.

You can do it in udev looking either at MODALIAS or at EV and ABS
environment variables. I think it is pretty safe to say that a device
with EV_ABS, EV_FF, ABS_X and ABS_Y is a force-feedback joystick-type
device and not a keyboard.

Another solution would be to relax permissions if user is also console
owner (home box installation).

One thing is for sure - I do not like #3 at all ;)

--
Dmitry