Date:	Wed, 26 Jul 2006 14:23:03 +0300
From:	Al Boldi <a1426z@...ab.com>
To:	Peter Williams <pwil3058@...pond.net.au>
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE][RFC] PlugSched-6.4 for 2.6.18-rc2

Peter Williams wrote:

> >> A really high likelihood of starvation of some tasks.
> >
> > Maybe you are thinking of running independent run-queues, in which case
> > it would probably be unwise to run multiple RQs on a single CPU.
>
> No.  I'm thinking about different schedulers on a single run queue.  I
> don't think that it's a good idea.

Running different scheds on a single RQ at the same time on the same resource
would be rather odd.  That's why independent RQs are necessary even on SMP.
OTOH, running independent RQs on UP doesn't make much sense, unless there is
a way to relate them.

> > But I was more thinking of a run-queue of run-queues, with the masterRQ
> > scheduling slaveRQs, each RQ possibly running its own scheduling
> > semantic.
>
> I think that you need to think a bit harder about the consequences of
> such a system.  The word "chaos" springs to mind.

Are you sure?

MultiDimensional RunQueues spring to mind.

Thanks!

--
Al