Date:	Mon, 31 Jul 2006 20:36:20 +0200
From:	Jan-Benedict Glaw <jbglaw@...-owl.de>
To:	David Masover <ninja@...phack.com>
Cc:	Adrian Ulrich <reiser4@...nkenlights.ch>,
	Matthias Andree <matthias.andree@....de>,
	vonbrand@....utfsm.cl, ipso@...ppymail.ca, reiser@...esys.com,
	lkml@...productions.com, jeff@...zik.org, tytso@....edu,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, reiserfs-list@...esys.com
Subject: Re: the " 'official' point of view" expressed by kernelnewbies.org regarding reiser4 inclusion

On Mon, 2006-07-31 11:44:25 -0500, David Masover <ninja@...phack.com> wrote:
> Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
> > On Mon, 2006-07-31 17:59:58 +0200, Adrian Ulrich
> > <reiser4@...nkenlights.ch> wrote:
> > > A colleague of mine happened to create a ~300gb filesystem and started
> > > to migrate Mailboxes (Maildir-style format = many small files (1-3kb))
> > > to the new LUN. At about 70% the filesystem ran out of inodes; Not a
> >
> > So preparation work wasn't done.
>
> Let me put it this way -- You're back in college, and it's time to write
> a thesis.  You have a choice of software packages:
>
> Package A:  You have to specify how many pages, and how many words,
> you're likely to use before you start typing.  Guess too high, and
> you'll print out a bunch of blank pages at the end.  Guess too low, and
> you'll run out of space and have to start over, copy and paste your
> document back in, and hope it gets all the formatting right, which it
> probably won't.
>
> Package B:  Your document grows as you type.  When it's time to print,
> only the pages you've actually written something on -- but all of the
> pages you've actually written something on -- are printed.
>
> All other things being equal, which would you choose?  Which one seems
> more modern?

:)  Well, given that TeX needs two (or even three!) runs to get all
page references right, why should I choose MS Word, where you won't
see that problem at all?

MfG, JBG

--
       Jan-Benedict Glaw       jbglaw@...-owl.de                +49-172-7608481
 Signature of:                               If it doesn't work, force it.

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (190 bytes)