Date:	Wed, 9 Aug 2006 11:48:13 +0200
From:	Pavel Machek <pavel@...e.cz>
To:	Hans Reiser <reiser@...esys.com>
Cc:	David Masover <ninja@...phack.com>,
	"Horst H. von Brand" <vonbrand@....utfsm.cl>,
	Bernd Schubert <bernd-schubert@....de>,
	reiserfs-list@...esys.com, Jan-Benedict Glaw <jbglaw@...-owl.de>,
	Clay Barnes <clay.barnes@...il.com>,
	Rudy Zijlstra <rudy@...ons.demon.nl>,
	Adrian Ulrich <reiser4@...nkenlights.ch>, ipso@...ppymail.ca,
	lkml@...productions.com, jeff@...zik.org, tytso@....edu,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: the " 'official' point of view" expressed by kernelnewbies.org regarding reiser4 inclusion

On Wed 2006-08-09 02:37:45, Hans Reiser wrote:
> Pavel Machek wrote:
>

> >Yes, I'm afraid redundancy/checksums kill write speed,
> >
> they kill write speed to cache, but not to disk....  our compression
> plugin is faster than the uncompressed plugin.....

Yes, you can get clever. But your compression plugin also means that
single bit error means whole block is lost, so there _is_ speed
vs. stability-against-hw-problems.

But you are right that compression will catch same class of errors
checksums will, so that it is probably good thing w.r.t. stability.

								Pavel