Date:	Fri, 25 Aug 2006 11:17:42 -0400
From:	"Stuart MacDonald" <stuartm@...necttech.com>
To:	"'linux-os \(Dick Johnson\)'" <linux-os@...logic.com>,
	"'Krzysztof Halasa'" <khc@...waw.pl>
Cc:	"'Alan Cox'" <alan@...rguk.ukuu.org.uk>,
	"'David Woodhouse'" <dwmw2@...radead.org>,
	<linux-serial@...r.kernel.org>,
	"'LKML'" <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: RE: Serial custom speed deprecated?

From: On Behalf Of linux-os (Dick Johnson)
> But the baud-rates have always been some approximation that starts
> at 75 and increases by powers-of-two. This is because the hardware
> always had fixed clocks with dividers that divided by powers-of-two.
> What is the claim for the requirement of strange baud-rates set
> as an integer of dimension "baud?" Where does this requirement
> come from and what devices use these?

Perhaps you'd like to check out our products
http://www.connecttech.com/

We build a lot of custom boards that have odd clocks to generate very
odd baud rates for random serial devices. The Bxxx style has been a
thorn in my side since 1999.

Also, Oxford's 16PCI95x family has three different points of altering
the clock; the clock prescaler, the actual sample rate (which is the
classic /16 that most are used to), and the actual divisor. That can
produce pretty much any baud rate, albeit with some error.

..Stu