Date:	Sat, 02 Sep 2006 21:57:36 -0400
From:	"Horst H. von Brand" <vonbrand@....utfsm.cl>
To:	Neil Brown <neilb@...e.de>
cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: RFC - sysctl or module parameters.

Neil Brown <neilb@...e.de> wrote:
> There are so many ways to feed configuration parameters into the
> kernel these days.

;-)

> There is sysctl.  There is sysfs. And there are module paramters.
> (procfs? who said procfs? I certainly didn't).

And kernel parameters.

> I have a module - let's call it 'lockd'.
> I want to make it configurable - say to be able to identify
>  peers by IP address (as it currently does) or host name
>  (good for multi homed peers, if you trust them).

[...]

> It occurs to me that since we have /sys/module/X/parameters,
> it wouldn't be too hard to have some functionality, possibly
> in modprobe, that looked for all the 'options' lines in
> modprobe config files, checked to see if the modules was loaded,
> and then imposed those options that could be imposed.
>
> Thus we could just have a module option, just add module config
> information to /etc/modprobe.d and run
>   modprobe --apply-option-to-active-modules
> at the same time as "sysctl -p" and it would all 'just work'
> whether the module were compiled in to not.

No, please. Not across the board. That will screw up hand-tuned parameters

And in any case, make sysctl do it (it should not matter if it is module
configuration or built-in configuration, just for consistency).

[I seem to remember a similar thread perhaps one month back?]

VGER BF report: U 0.5