Date:	Thu, 7 Sep 2006 15:05:49 -0400
From:	Len Brown <len.brown@...el.com>
To:	Andreas Steinmetz <ast@...dv.de>
	acpi-devel@...ts.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [2.6.17.8] noapic and /proc/acpi/event

On Thursday 07 September 2006 14:52, Andreas Steinmetz wrote:
> I do have a problem with a new laptop (Acer Ferrari 4006):
>
> It does suspend either to disk or to ram only when I do boot with
> "noapic". So far, so good.

Well no, that isn't so good either.  You shouldn't need "noapic"
for anything, either normal operation or suspend/resume.

Do ACPI events work properly w/o noapic if you don't suspend/resume?

You should be able to kill acpid, and cat /proc/acpi/event
and open/close your lid and watch events appear --
same for power button.
You should also be able to see the acpi line in /proc/interrupts
increment for each of these events.

> If, however, I do boot with "noapic" no events are delivered to
> /proc/acpi/event so lid switch and power button can't be used to suspend
> anymore.

Does noapic work properly before the suspend?
(test the same way as w/o noapic above)

> The strange thing is, that at least in /proc/acpi/button/lid/LID/state I
> can view the lid switch state.

The problem with your system is that it isn't getting ACPI interrupts.
The lid state in /proc is immune to that problem because when
you read that file Linux asks the hardware for its state on demand.

cheers,
-Len