Date:	Wed, 13 Sep 2006 20:52:53 +0300
From:	Al Boldi <a1426z@...ab.com>
To:	"John Stoffel" <john@...ffel.org>
Cc:	Jens Axboe <axboe@...nel.dk>, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: What's in linux-2.6-block.git

John Stoffel wrote:

> Al> Jens Axboe wrote:

> >> (remember to cc me/others when replying, I can easily miss lkml
> >> messages for several days otherwise).
> >>
> >> It does not, the investigation of that is still pending I'm afraid. The
> >> data is really puzzling, I'm inclined to think it's drive related. Are
> >> you reproducing it just one box/drive, or on several?
>
> Al> Several boxes, same drive.
>
> Al> /dev/hda:
>
> Al> ATA device, with non-removable media
> Al> 	Model Number:       WDC WD1200JB-00DUA0
> Al> 	Serial Number:      WD-WMACM1007651
> Al> 	Firmware Revision:  65.13G65
> Al> Standards:
> Al> 	Supported: 6 5 4 3
> Al> 	Likely used: 6
>
> I've got a pair of drives which are very close in model type, and I
> can run some non-destructive tests on them if you like to confirm
> what's going on here if you like:
>
>     /dev/hde:
>
>     ATA device, with non-removable media
> 	    Model Number:       WDC WD1200JB-00CRA1
> 	    Serial Number:      WD-WMA8C4365875
> 	    Firmware Revision:  17.07W17
>     Standards:
> 	    Supported: 5 4 3
> 	    Likely used: 6
>     jfsnew:~> sudo hdparm -I /dev/hdg | head
>
>     /dev/hdg:
>
>     ATA device, with non-removable media
> 	    Model Number:       WDC WD1200JB-00EVA0
> 	    Serial Number:      WD-WMAEK2844058
> 	    Firmware Revision:  15.05R15
>     Standards:
> 	    Supported: 6 5 4
> 	    Likely used: 6
>
> The drives have different defaul max_sectors too:
>     > cat /sys/block/hdg/queue/max_sectors_kb
>
>     512
>
>     > cat /sys/block/hde/queue/max_sectors_kb
>
>     128
>
> Let me know your test method and I'll run it here and post the
> results.

Thanks for your input!

Are you running UDMA5?  Can you dump the full hdparm -I

What thruput do you get with cat /dev/hd[eg] > /dev/null?

What does cat /sys/block/hde/queue/read_ahead_kb say?

Then try this for best performance:
echo 192 > /sys/block/hde/queue/max_sectors_kb
echo 192 > /sys/block/hde/queue/read_ahead_kb

and repeat the thruput test reporting vmstat results.

Thanks!

--
Al