Date:	Thu, 14 Sep 2006 16:19:12 +0300 (EEST)
From:	Almonas Petrasevicius <draugaz@...das.soften.ktu.lt>
To:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Cc:	kernel@...cactii.net, venkatesh.pallipadi@...el.com,
	davej@...emonkey.org.uk
Subject: Re: speedstep-centrino broke

Hi,

I experience the same speedstep problem on my HP nc6320 (CoreDuo T2400)
since yesterday's BIOS update (F06 to F08).

According to the release notes this BIOS update should introduce support
for the new CPU's (Core2 "Merom" I suppose).

I did verify both kernels 2.6.16 and 2.6.17 (both vanilla), there is
_no_ difference, both have the same speedstep problem.

I did look through the 2.6.17 logs, before and after the bios update and
diff showed the following differences:

The BIOS v F06 (speedstep was OK):

kernel: ACPI: RSDP (v000 HP                                    ) @
0x000f7d70
kernel: ACPI: RSDT (v001 HP     30AA     0x28040620 HP   0x00000001) @
0x3f7e5684
kernel: ACPI: FADT (v002 HP     30AA     0x00000002 HP   0x00000001) @
0x3f7e5600
kernel: ACPI: MADT (v001 HP     30AA     0x00000001 HP   0x00000001) @
0x3f7e56c0
kernel: ACPI: MCFG (v001 HP     30AA     0x00000001 HP   0x00000001) @
0x3f7e5728
kernel: ACPI: TCPA (v002 HP     30AA     0x00000001 HP   0x00000001) @
0x3f7e5764
kernel: ACPI: SSDT (v001 HP       HPQSAT 0x00000001 MSFT 0x0100000e) @
0x3f7f4af8
kernel: ACPI: SSDT (v001 HP        CpuPm 0x00003000 INTL 0x20050624) @
0x3f7f52e5
kernel: ACPI: DSDT (v001 HP       nc6340 0x00010000 MSFT 0x0100000e) @
0x00000000

The BIOS v F08 (no speedstep anymore):

kernel: ACPI: RSDP (v002 HP                                    ) @
0x000f7f00
kernel: ACPI: XSDT (v001 HP     30AA     0x27070620 HP   0x00000001) @
0x3f7e57b4
kernel: ACPI: FADT (v004 HP     30AA     0x00000003 HP   0x00000001) @
0x3f7e5684
kernel: ACPI: MADT (v001 HP     30AA     0x00000001 HP   0x00000001) @
0x3f7e5808
kernel: ACPI: MCFG (v001 HP     30AA     0x00000001 HP   0x00000001) @
0x3f7e5870
kernel: ACPI: TCPA (v002 HP     30AA     0x00000001 HP   0x00000001) @
0x3f7e58ac
kernel: ACPI: SSDT (v001 HP       HPQSAT 0x00000001 MSFT 0x0100000e) @
0x3f7f4e9c
kernel: ACPI: DSDT (v001 HP       nc6340 0x00010000 MSFT 0x0100000e) @
0x00000000

So, i suppose it has something to do with a CpuPm SSDT section which is
now missing (or maybe present in a different form?).

As a consequence, with BIOS v. F06 i get the following messages:

kernel: ACPI: CPU0 (power states: C1[C1] C2[C2])
kernel: ACPI: Processor [CPU0] (supports 8 throttling states)
kernel: ACPI: CPU1 (power states: C1[C1] C2[C2])
kernel: ACPI: Processor [CPU1] (supports 8 throttling states)

and with BIOS v. F08 just this:

kernel: ACPI: Processor [CPU0] (supports 8 throttling states)
kernel: ACPI: Processor [CPU1] (supports 8 throttling states)

If any further info would help, I have the full ACPI dump from the BIOS
F04 (which was OK and had that CpuPm SSDT table too) and could create the
dump for the BIOS v F08 (which broke the speedstep).

But as it looks, I suspect it is an HP issue and probably has nothing to
do with linux kernel.

Regards,
Almonas