Date:	Fri, 15 Sep 2006 10:06:48 +0200
From:	"Michal Piotrowski" <michal.k.k.piotrowski@...il.com>
To:	"David Chinner" <dgc@....com>
Cc:	"Andrew Morton" <akpm@...l.org>, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	xfs-masters@....sgi.com, "Linus Torvalds" <torvalds@...l.org>
Subject: Re: [xfs-masters] Re: 2.6.18-rc6-mm2

On 15/09/06, David Chinner <dgc@....com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 14, 2006 at 08:48:01PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > "BAD" is a bisection point, as per
> > http://www.zip.com.au/~akpm/linux/patches/stuff/bisecting-mm-trees.txt.  So
> > just 2.6.18-rc6+origin.patch exhibits the failure.  That is mainline.
>
> Ah - thanks for explaining that for me, Andrew.
>
> Michal, there were several XFS fixes (4, I think) that went into -rc7.  If
> -rc6 fails and -rc7 doesn't then we need to check if one of those fixes is
> responsible.

As I said before "I was wrong" (I use lockdep only with -mm kernels).

> The crash doesn't match any of the symptoms we've seen from them,
> but it's worth checking.

http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0608.1/1202.html

The problem with this bug is "bad interaction" between lockdep and
XFS. (I forgot about this probably because lockdep was broken for me
in 2.6.18-rc5-mm* - and previous bug appeared while mounting XFS, not
umounting).

2006-07-03 locdep was merged
2006-07-28 - 2006-08-10 a few XFS fixes

So I guess that binary search won't solve this mystery.

> Cheers,
>
> Dave.
> --
> Dave Chinner