Date:	Fri, 15 Sep 2006 17:43:56 -0700
From:	Jim Gibbons <jim@...bons.com>
To:	Miguel Ojeda <maxextreme@...il.com>
CC:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: request for ioctl range for private devices

I can see that I wasn't as clear as I should have been.  Thank you for
trying to figure it out anyway.

Please let me try again to explain.  We are using a driver interface to
our kernel level code.  Our kernel level code is a loadable module.  We
have no intention of modifying the kernel or of releasing our code.  We
accept the implied maintenance responsibility on this private, embedded
platform.

We will, however, use code from the public Linux sources.  We are
planning to use 2.6 at the moment, but we hope to update in the future.
We also expect that we will update our platform, possibly adding new,
publicly supported devices to it.

In this environment, we want to allow our daemons to communicate with
our kernel module via its driver interface.

With all this having been said, we would like to find a range of ioctls
to use for this communication.  We don't want to reserve a range for
ourselves.  That would be silly, since this is such a private
situation.  We do think that such embedded use might be common, though,
and we would like to see a range of ioctls reserved for private and
experimental uses like ours.

I hope that such an ioctl range might be reserved, so that we can avoid
conflict with other public devices in the future.

Thanks for your help.

--
Jim Gibbons
	jim@...bons.com