Date:	Sat, 16 Sep 2006 02:23:27 +0200
From:	Olivier Galibert <galibert@...ox.com>
To:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: + allow-proc-configgz-to-be-built-as-a-module.patch added to -mm tree

On Fri, Sep 15, 2006 at 04:41:35PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> I'd want to be hearing from distro people on that - I'd expect that the
> .config which is used to build configs.ko would not differ from that which
> is used to build vmlinux.

What's the point though?  If you can find configs.ko, you can have
install_modules copy config.gz there, no?  And you also have it in
/boot/config-`uname -r`.  /proc/config.gz has a trust value only
because it is linked into the image.  Having it as a module gives the
exact save level of trustyness that the perfectly well working
solution of copying in /boot had before.

In other terms, if you allow configs.ko, you can't trust the contents
of /proc/config.gz anymore and /proc/config.gz lost all its interest
where it comes to debugging.

  OG.