Date:	Sat, 23 Sep 2006 15:32:13 +0000 (UTC)
From:	Oleg Verych <olecom@...wer.upol.cz>
To:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject:  Re: The GPL: No shelter for the Linux kernel?

On 2006-09-22, Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...l.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Sep 2006, David Schwartz wrote:
>>
>> This is probably going to be controversial, but Linus should seriously
[...]
> I don't actually want people to need to trust anybody - and that very much
> includes me - implicitly.
>
> I think people can generally trust me, but they can trust me exactly
> because they know they don't _have_ to.

And somebody chooses anoter license, f.e see:
linux/drivers/video/aty/radeon_base.c

> Now, I could have done it all directly on the Linux-kernel mailing list,
> but let's face it, that would just have caused a long discussion and we'd
> not have really been any better off anyway. So instead, I did
>
> 	git log | grep -i signed-off-by: |
> 		cut -d: -f2- | sort | uniq -c | sort -nr | less -S
>
> which anybody else can do on their copy of their git repository, and I
> just picked the first screenful of people (and Alan. And later we added
> three more people after somebody pointed out that some top people use

Alan *is on top* of (old fashioned, gitless):

$ for i in `find linux/drivers/`
do dd count=1 <$i | grep @ | sed 's_[^<]*<\(.*@.*\)>[^>]*_\1_g'
done | sort | uniq -c | sort -rn | most

And what about linux/CREDITS ? Creating (even in the past) is also worth.

As Adrian Bunk noted, there are may who contibuted, still CREDITS has
reasonable size. Search above && grep in CREDITS 50 / 50 from the git
logs would be better ;D.

I would, say

      H. Peter Anvin, Vojtech Pavlik, Patrick Mochel, Pavel Machek

are also major contributors. Cheers, guys !
[i usually do credit search on stuff i read in the kernel, so that is IMHO]

-o--=O`C   5 years ago TT and WTC7 were assassinated.
 #oo'L O   Learn more how (tm) <http://911research.com>
<___=E M