Date:	Wed, 27 Sep 2006 23:59:24 +0200
From:	Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>
To:	Clark Williams <williams@...hat.com>
Cc:	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>, john stultz <johnstul@...ibm.com>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: Athlon64x2 problem with 2.6.18-rt4 and hrtimers

Clark,

On Wed, 2006-09-27 at 15:30 -0500, Clark Williams wrote:
> What I've been seeing were some very long latencies while running
> cyclictimer (v0.1 thru v0.9). The test would start up and run with quite
> good numbers for a few thousand iterations, then really large latencies
> would start to occur (between 5000 and 30000 us). I have not dumped the
> stats to a file and done any statistical analysis as to how frequent the
> large latencies are, nor whether they're trending up or down.

Would be interesting to see.

> I had a suspicion that it involved signal delivery because of the following:
>
> $ sudo ./cyclictest32 --prio=1
> 0.01 0.03 0.01 1/151 3486
>
> T: 0 ( 3484) P: 1 I:    1000 C:    8955 Min:      10 Act:   38011 Avg:
>  20919 Max:   38445
> $ sudo ./cyclictest32 --prio=1 --nanosleep
> 0.01 0.03 0.00 1/151 3490
>
> T: 0 ( 3488) P: 1 I:    1000 C:   12995 Min:       6 Act:       7 Avg:
>      6 Max:      31
>
> As you can see, the Avg and Max times stay quite low when using
> nanosleep; the latencies only happen when using itimers.

Also can you run a test with prio=80, if there is any difference ?

> I was describing this behavior when DJ Delorie suggested that it might
> be affinity based rather than signal delivery. He suggested binding the
> test to a particular processor, so I did with the following results:
>
> $ sudo taskset 0x1 ./cyclictest32 --prio=1
> 0.11 0.07 0.08 1/149 3311
>
> T: 0 ( 3305) P: 1 I:    1000 C:   45709 Min:       8 Act:      11 Avg:
>     10 Max:      53
> $ sudo taskset 0x2 ./cyclictest32 --prio=1
> 0.03 0.05 0.08 1/149 3323
>
> T: 0 ( 3313) P: 1 I:    1000 C:   74451 Min:      10 Act:   58011 Avg:
>  28976 Max:   58818
>
> So it seems that the latencies only occur on processor 1 (not on
> processor 0).  I booted 2.6.18-rt4 with and without idle=poll (as Ingo
> suggested) and saw the long latencies in both cases when the test was
> bound to processor 1 (never with processor 0).

Hmm.

> Hopefully this is useful information. I just wanted to let you guys
> know, since you'll probably have a fix available long before I can
> comprehend the arch/x86_64 code where this probably occurs.  Let me know
> if you want other things, like the .config or something else.

Can you please switch on CONFIG_LATENCY_TRACE (depends on
CONFIG_LATENCY_TIMING) ?

Use the latest version of cyclictest and add -b XXX to the command line,
where XXX is the maximum latency in micro seconds. Once the latency is
greater than the given maximum, the kernel tracer and cyclictest is
stopped.

Now you can read the kernel trace:

cat /proc/latency_trace >trace.log

The trace should give us more insight.

Please be aware that the tracer adds significant overhead to the kernel,
so the latencies will be much higher.

	tglx