Date:	Sun, 01 Oct 2006 09:16:35 +0900
From:	Tejun Heo <htejun@...il.com>
To:	Robert Hancock <hancockr@...w.ca>
CC:	Jeff Garzik <jeff@...zik.org>,
	linux-kernel <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>, prakash@...noor.de,
	"linux-ide@...r.kernel.org" <linux-ide@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: SATA status reports update

[cc'ing linux-ide]

Robert Hancock wrote:
> Jeff Garzik wrote:
>> Robert Hancock wrote:

>>> Do you know exactly what is allegedly broken in that version? I see
>>> that there are some functions which are just "TODO"..
>>
>> I just know it was a working driver at one time.
>
> I had a look at the ADMA patch. It looks like it is vaguely based off
> the ADMA spec, though with some significant changes (i.e. 64-bit
> addresses instead of 32-bit, some things are missing or at least not
> defined in the constants provided in the patch).
>
> I think the code will more or less work in ADMA mode with NCQ disabled
> (i.e. how it is in the patch currently, with #define NV_ADMA_NCQ
> commented out). However, with NCQ on there would be a few problems:
>
> -When the driver gets a command which is not DMA-mapped (i.e. PIO
> commands), it switches the controller from ADMA mode into port-register
> mode and then issues the command in the existing fashion. This isn't
> going to work very well if there are already NCQ command(s) in progress,
> which I assume is a possibility. Either the driver needs to stall the
> PIO command until all the NCQ commands are done and prevent any other
> NCQ commands starting while the PIO is in progress (is this viable?), or
> it needs to push the PIO command through the ADMA pipeline.

Actually, libata core layer already does it.  It never mixes NCQ and
non-NCQ commands.  sata_nv can safely assume that those two sets of
commands are always issued disjointly.  The relevant function is
libata-scsi.c::ata_scmd_need_defer().

> The ADMA
> standard provides a means for executing PIO commands through the
> pipeline using PIO-over-DMA, but there's not enough info to say whether
> the NVIDIA controller implements that the same way or at all. Jeff, you
> may be able to help with this if you have access to the docs.

It would be nice to have that but I'm doubtful it would worth the
effort.  I would just leave it as it is as long as it works.

> -Inside the interrupt handler the driver uses ata_qc_from_tag(ap,
> ap->active_tag) to find the qc which was just completed. This won't work
> in NCQ as active_tag is not used and multiple commands may be in
> progress. It should be checking the CPB flags on all the active CPBs to
> see which one(s) have completed (or maybe the hardware has a register
> that indicates which CPBs have been completed already, the patch doesn't
> provide a hint of how that would work however).
>
> So it looks like it needs some work before NCQ will work properly.
> However, there would be some gains to getting ADMA working even without
> NCQ, both in terms of reduced CPU overhead. Also, ADMA supports full
> 64-bit DMA as opposed to the 32-bit DMA capability of the standard
> interface, which would reduce IOMMU load on systems with RAM above 4GB.
> (Note that this is broken in the patch currently, the sg addresses get
> dumped into a u32 and truncated before they are written to the
> controller, and it also doesn't set a 64-bit DMA mask in ADMA mode..)

Not only that, hopefully, it will show better EH behavior.  sata_nv's TF
register mode sometimes hangs holding PCI bus (as in IORDY lockup).
This happens a lot if you pull a disk out while it's actively processing
a command but doesn't seem to be restricted to that.  Also, it has been
suggested that sata_nv's TF register mode might involve some nasty SMM
code.  I don't recall whether it was verified tho.

Anyways, it would be very nice to have working nv_adma.  I have a CK804
nv but it's my primary work machine and I'm too lazy to develop on it,
but I would be more than happy to test or answer questions.

Thanks.

--
tejun