Date:	Mon, 2 Oct 2006 14:42:51 -0700 (PDT)
From:	David Lang <dlang@...italinsight.com>
To:	Sean <seanlkml@...patico.ca>
cc:	Willy Tarreau <w@....eu>, Phillip Susi <psusi@....rr.com>,
	Drew Scott Daniels <ddaniels@...lumni.mb.ca>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Smaller compressed kernel source tarballs?

On Mon, 2 Oct 2006, Sean wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Oct 2006 22:35:27 +0200
> Willy Tarreau <w@....eu> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Oct 02, 2006 at 01:12:55PM -0700, David Lang wrote:
>>> no, I was suggesting a pack file that contained _only_ the head version.
>>>
>>> within the pack file it would delta against other files in the pack (how
>>> many copies of the GPLv2 text exist across all files for example)
>>>
>>> however Willy did a test and found that the resulting pack was
>>> significantly larger then a .tgz. I don't know what options he used, so
>>> while there's some chance that being more agressive in looking for deltas
>>> would result in an improvement, the difference to make up is fairly
>>> significant.
>>
>> no options at all, so there may be room for improvement. Also, on my
>> notebook, I have hardlinked all my linux directories so that each
>> content only appears once. I don't have the numbers right here, but
>> I remember that it was really useful to merge lots of different versions,
>> but that the net gain within one given tree was really minor, as there
>> are not that many identical files in one tree.
>
> Hey Willy,
>
> I don't really understand the objective here, but you may want to double
> check your procedure, the entire 2.4 history only takes a single 41M pack
> in Git for me.

the idea was to use a git pack instead of a .tgz or .tar.bz2 as a distribution
format from kernel.org

for example, the pack would only include the 2.6.18 kernel, no history.

once git supports shallow clones then the distributed blob could be a clone seed
that a person could download and then track changes from there forward. but
that's a future enhancement.

David Lang