Date:	Tue, 3 Oct 2006 10:30:18 -0400
From:	"John W. Linville" <linville@...driver.com>
To:	Dan Williams <dcbw@...hat.com>
Cc:	Theodore Tso <tytso@....edu>,
	Alessandro Suardi <alessandro.suardi@...il.com>,
	"Rafael J. Wysocki" <rjw@...k.pl>, jt@....hp.com,
	Andrew Morton <akpm@...l.org>,
	Norbert Preining <preining@...ic.at>, hostap@...oo.com,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, ipw3945-devel@...ts.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: wpa supplicant/ipw3945, ESSID last char missing

On Tue, Oct 03, 2006 at 10:12:59AM -0400, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-10-03 at 09:38 -0400, Theodore Tso wrote:

> > John, has the wireless community considered creating a new interface
> > which *is* carefully designed, and supporting both the new and the
> > legacy interface for 2-3 years until all of the mainstream
>
> Yes, nl80211/cfg80211 (sent to netdev@ last week) is the likely
> successor.  Please, if you have suggestions for ABI/API-proofability,
> review the patch and post suggestions!  We all know a carefully designed
> is not just about the code, but about the semantics, structures, etc as
> well.  It would be quite valuable to have everyone's input to make sure
> it's as future-proof as possible.

Dan is quick on his keyboard today! :-)

As Dan points-out, there is serious work underway on the next
generation wireless management A[BP]I.  That work is (perhaps
unfortunately) closely linked to the new wireless stack work currently
underway.

John

P.S.  Ted, thanks for your calm and respectful communications!
--
John W. Linville
linville@...driver.com