Date:	Tue, 3 Oct 2006 18:02:09 -0400 (EDT)
From:	Daniel Barkalow <barkalow@...ervon.org>
To:	Marc Perkel <marc@...kel.com>
cc:	"Linux-Kernel@...r. Kernel. Org" <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: Maybe it's time to fork the GPL License - create the Linux
 license?

On Mon, 2 Oct 2006, Marc Perkel wrote:

> Just a thought. Suppose we forked the GPL2 license and created the Linux
> license? (Or some better name) It's kind of clear the Stallman has his own
> ajenda and that it's not compatible with the Linux model. So - lets fork it an
> start a new one.

The GPLv2 isn't open source, so it can't (legally) be forked:

 Everyone is permitted to copy and distribute verbatim copies
 of this license document, but changing it is not allowed.

(The "mere aggregation" clause is, in fact, very important, since
otherwise it would be impossible to distribute GPLed code along with the
license for it.)

Now, it would be plausible to get Creative Commons to do a "provide
source" clause, such that there would be an alternative text with the same
effect as the GPLv2, if there was enough negative opinion about the FSF to
justify having an alternative text to use for this effect.

	-Daniel
*This .sig left intentionally blank*