Date:	Thu, 5 Oct 2006 16:48:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:	Alan Stern <stern@...land.harvard.edu>
To:	Oliver Neukum <oliver@...kum.org>
cc:	Pavel Machek <pavel@....cz>, <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	<linux-usb-devel@...ts.sourceforge.net>
Subject: Re: [linux-usb-devel] error to be returned while suspended

On Thu, 5 Oct 2006, Oliver Neukum wrote:

> [..]
> > > In the general case the idea seems insufficient. If I close my laptop's lid
> > > I want all input devices suspended, whether the corresponding files are
> > > opened or not. In fact, if I have port level power control I might even
> > > want to cut power to them.
> >
> > That's a separate issue.  You were talking about runtime suspend, but
> > closing the laptop's lid is a system suspend.
>
> Why?

Normally people expect that shutting the lid on a laptop will cause it to
go to sleep.  If you want different behavior, that's okay too...

> If you freeze my batch jobs or make unavailable the servers
> running on my laptop I'd be very unhappy.
> But I want to make jostling a mouse or other input device safe. Thus
> I want them to be suspended without autoresume. We need flexibility.

So you want a mode in which the input devices are suspended without remote
wakeup.  Remote wakeup settings are configurable via
/sys/devices/.../power/wakeup.  At this point nobody has settled on a
new API for suspending the devices.  It's quite possible that different
drivers or different buses will use their own individual APIs.

Alan Stern