Date:	Wed, 11 Oct 2006 16:48:24 +0200
From:	Martin Schwidefsky <schwidefsky@...ibm.com>
To:	Nick Piggin <nickpiggin@...oo.com.au>
Cc:	Andrew Morton <akpm@...l.org>, Nick Piggin <npiggin@...e.de>,
	Linux Memory Management <linux-mm@...ck.org>,
	Linux Kernel <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [patch 3/3] mm: add arch_alloc_page

On Sun, 2006-10-08 at 11:39 +1000, Nick Piggin wrote:
> >On Sat,  7 Oct 2006 15:06:04 +0200 (CEST)
> >Nick Piggin <npiggin@...e.de> wrote:
> >

> >>Add an arch_alloc_page to match arch_free_page.
> >>

> >umm.. why?
> >

> I had a future patch to more kernel_map_pages into it, but couldn't
> decide if that's a generic kernel feature that is only implemented in
> 2 architectures, or an architecture speicifc feature. So I left it out.
>
> But at least Martin wanted a hook here for his volatile pages patches,
> so I thought I'd submit this patch anyway.

With Nicks patch I can use arch_alloc_page instead of page_set_stable,
but I can still not use arch_free_page instead of page_set_unused
because it is done before the check for reserved pages. If reserved
pages go away or the arch_free_page call would get moved after the check
I could replace page_set_unused as well. So with Nicks patch we are only
halfway there..

--
blue skies,
  Martin.

Martin Schwidefsky
Linux for zSeries Development & Services
IBM Deutschland Entwicklung GmbH