Date:	Mon, 16 Oct 2006 18:24:48 -0700
From:	"Paul E. McKenney" <paulmck@...ibm.com>
To:	Alan Stern <stern@...land.harvard.edu>
Cc:	David Howells <dhowells@...hat.com>,
	Kernel development list <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: Uses for memory barriers

On Fri, Oct 13, 2006 at 10:27:36PM -0400, Alan Stern wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Oct 2006, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
>
> > Ewww...  How about __kfifo_get() and __kfifo_put()?  These have no atomic
> > operations.  Ah, but they are restricted to pairs of tasks, so pairwise
> > memory barriers should suffice.
>
> Tasks can migrate from one CPU to another, of course.  But that involves
> context switching and plenty of synchronization operations in the kernel,
> so you're okay in that respect.

Yep -- at least it had better be!  Careful about how you write lightweight
schedulers!  ;-)

> > For the pairwise memory barriers, I really like "conditionally precedes",
> > which makes it very clear that the observation of order is not automatic.
> > On both CPUs, and explicit memory barrier is required (with the exception
> > of MMIO, where the communication is instead with an I/O device).
> >
> > For the single-variable case and for the single-CPU case, just plain
> > "precedes" works, at least as long as you are not doing fine-grained
> > timings that can allow you to observe cache lines in motion.  But if
> > you are doing that, you had better know what you are doing anyway.  ;-)
>
> The reason I don't like "conditionally precedes" is because it suggests
> the ordering is not automatic even in the single-CPU case.

Aside from MMIO accesses, why would you be using memory barriers in the
single-CPU case?  If you aren't using memory barriers, then just plain
"precedes" works fine -- "conditionally precedes" applies only to memory
barriers acting on normal memory (again, MMIO is handled specially).

So, ordering is indeed automatic in the single-CPU case.  Or, more
accurately, ordering -looks- -like- it is automatic in the single-CPU
case.  Except for MMIO -- MMIO giveth ordering in SMP and it taketh
ordering away on UP.  ;-)

						Thanx, Paul