Date:	Thu, 19 Oct 2006 18:35:56 +0200
From:	wixor <wixorpeek@...il.com>
To:	"Alan Cox" <alan@...rguk.ukuu.org.uk>
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: VCD not readable under 2.6.18

On 10/18/06, Alan Cox <alan@...rguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:
> Now where it all gets weirder is that some forms of VCD (especially the
> ones for philips short lived interactive stuff) have an ISO file system
> on them but where sector numbers in the file system for video blocks
> point to blocks that are not 2K data blocks but mpeg blocks that the
> file system layer can't handle, so a VCD disk can appear mountable and
> the like.
OK, but this is still mountable only from windows....... Is this ISO
filesystem hidden somewhere, or what? And that still does not explain
errors from xine, and the 8 megs that i actually can read using dd.
All after all - even if this disc would contain totally unsupported
tracks, with absolutly weird data, kernel should recognize it and
report something like:
cdrom: there are no tracks on hda i can recognize
(or something like that). If the errors do happen, it means kernel
thinks he can read the data, and he actually can't, yes? Is here
anything I can do to improve support of this disc under linux, or is
this just another hell-knows-what thing, the kernel implementation is
ok, and this is only some m$-dontated extension that prevents us from
accessing this disc? Even if it is, shouldn't it be implemented if it
is possible?

Thanks
--
wixor