Date:	Tue, 24 Oct 2006 16:38:41 -0400
From:	Phillip Susi <psusi@....rr.com>
To:	Jens Axboe <jens.axboe@...cle.com>
CC:	Martin Peschke <mp3@...ibm.com>, Andrew Morton <akpm@...l.org>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [Patch 0/5] I/O statistics through request queues

This discussion seems to involve two different solutions to two
different problems.  If it is a simple counter you want to be able to
poll, then sysfs/debugfs is an appropriate place to make the count
available.  If it is a detailed log of IO requests that you are after,
then blktrace is appropriate.

I did not read the patch to see, so I must ask: does it merely keep
statistics or does it log events?  If it is just statistics you are
after, then clearly blktrace is not the appropriate tool to use.