Date:	Wed, 25 Oct 2006 17:13:41 -0400
From:	Josef Sipek <jsipek@....cs.sunysb.edu>
To:	lkml@...garu.com
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: rename() contention (BUG?)

On Wed, Oct 25, 2006 at 03:56:34PM -0500, lkml@...garu.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have seen some scalability problems with Maildir-based mail systems running on
> Linux (debian sarge, 2.6.8), and after much investigation I found a large part
> of the problem was rename() contention.

Just FYI, around 2.6.15 the i_sem was replace with i_mutex which is much
better/faster. (And I would strongly suggest you upgrade.) I would actually
like to know how much the lock contention decresed for your case.

(I'm going to read the rest when I get back.)

Josef "Jeff" Sipek.

when I'm talking to journalists I just say "programmer" or something like
that.
		- Linus Torvalds