Date:	Fri, 03 Nov 2006 17:46:25 -0800
From:	"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@...or.com>
To:	John <me@...vacy.net>
CC:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, linux.nics@...el.com
Subject: Re: Intel 82559 NIC corrupted EEPROM

John wrote:

> Several people have reported the same error. Intel's Auke Kok has
> stated that ignoring the error is a BAD idea.
>
> http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/7/10/215
>
> What tool is used to reprogram the EEPROM? ethtool?
> I suppose I'll have to ask the manufacturer for an updated EEPROM?
>
> # ethtool -e eth0
> Cannot get EEPROM data: Operation not supported
>
> I'm not sure why I can't dump the contents of the EEPROM.
> Does the driver need to be loaded?

Yes, the driver needs to be loaded.

Basically, Auke wants you to throw away your NIC and/or motherboard.
Since you're effectively dead, the only damage you can do by disabling
the check has already been done.  This unfortunately seems to be fairly
common with e100, especially for the on-motherboard version, and you
basically have two options: either disable the check or write an offline
tool to reprogram the EEPROM.

The latest netdev tree (if it's not in Linus' tree already, which it
might be) does add back the option to ignore the check so you can update
the EEPROM, which will automatically fix the checksum.

	-hpa