Date:	Thu, 09 Nov 2006 22:11:08 +0100
From:	Christoph Anton Mitterer <calestyo@...entia.net>
To:	Roger Heflin <rheflin@...pa.com>
CC:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Strange write errors on FAT32 partition (maybe an FAT32 bug?!)

Roger Heflin wrote:
> Are both disks of the same type and connected to the same
> hardware?
>
> Or do they have different physical connections/drivers to the
> machine?

The system has 2 DualCore Opterons 275, on a Tyan S2895 board...
The disk with the originak data is a PATA disk from IBM.
The disk where I've copied the stuff to... is a SATA.

I did several diffs the last hours between the two disks and experienced
what you've described, that sometimes no differences sometimes there are
differences (in different files).

But note that the same happened already on the SAME disk.
In the beginning I copied the data to another place on the same disk,
then diffed and there were the same problems.
So I still wonder why this never affects the original files. When I
check sha512sums there I never get an error.

Right now I compile a new kernel with that module... and pray to god
that this is not an hardware error :/

View attachment "calestyo.vcf" of type "text/x-vcard" (156 bytes)