Date:	Sun, 12 Nov 2006 20:10:12 +0100
From:	Paul Seelig <pseelig@...ian.org>
To:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: PROBLEM: 2.6.18.2 kernel BUG at mm/vmscan.c:606!

Hi all,

second try via the public list since my first post was rejected due to
containing much more than 100.000 characters...

Almost daily, my IBM ThinkPad T23 (Modell 2647-9RG) with 1GB of RAM and
normally running the latest of Debian/unstable is getting an Oops
displaying "kernel BUG at mm/vmscan.c:606!" in the syslog. This happened
both with 2.6.18.1 and now 2.6.18.2 various times. Simply going back to
2.6.17.11 or even former kernel versions usually resumes rock stable
operation, but this is no resolution for the bug in 2.6.18.*. Two times
i experienced the machine to simply stop responding after/while over
night without using it. The last two times this had happened, i was
doing an "apt-get dist-upgrade" for Debian/unstable and the oops
happened in the middle of package installation.

The kernel was compiled using Manoj Srivasta's kernelpackage, using the
command line 'MAKEFLAGS="CC=gcc-3.4" make-kpkg kernel_image' to create a
Debian kernel package with gcc-3.4.6 for compilation.

I followed the instructions at www.tux.org/lkml/reporting-bugs.html as
closely as i could and have attached the requested information in
separate files attached in Oops.tgz. I'm not subscribed to the list and
would therefore
appreciate CC'ing for possible followups, but try to follow it via
www.lkml.org nonetheless. I would be delighted to further provide
any information and further debugging in resolving the issue at hand.

Thanks for Linux and all

P. *8^)

Download attachment "Oops.tgz" of type "application/x-compressed-tar" (19899 bytes)