Date:	Sun, 12 Nov 2006 15:21:21 -0800
From:	David Brownell <david-b@...bell.net>
To:	Alan Stern <stern@...land.harvard.edu>
Cc:	arvidjaar@...l.ru, linux-usb-devel@...ts.sourceforge.net,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [linux-usb-devel] 2.6.19-rc5 regression: can't disable OHCI  wakeup via sysfs

> > That's why the original OHCI autosuspend code initialized the "can this
> > root hub autosuspend" by testing the root hub wakeup flag:
> >
> >         can_suspend = device_may_wakeup(&hcd->self.root_hub->dev);
> >
> > and then cleared it if any enabled port wasn't suspended, any schedule
> > was active, or any deletions were pending.
>
> But the silicon or board-level implementation bug you mentioned wouldn't
> cause any of those tests to succeed, would it?  Hence it wouldn't prevent
> an unwanted root-hub suspend.
>
> Or are you trying to say that the original device_may_wakeup() value would
> be 0 if the bug were detected?

The latter:  device_may_wakeup() never returns true.  There are three paths
for that:

  (a) userspace workaround, which is the regression that was reported;
  (b) the AMD 756 workaround, and
  (c) that board-specific quirk code.

Of course (c) hasn't been submitted yet because it didn't work ... evidently
because of the regression where device_may_wakeup(root_hub) was ignored.

> >   A quick glance at your new
> > "autostop" code shows that it only checks whether ports are enabled;
> > those other important constraints have been removed.
>
> No, you must have misread the code.  It retains the checks for active
> schedules or pending deletions.  There's no need to check for unsuspended
> enabled ports, since autostop kicks in only when no ports are enabled.

Well, there are at least two regressions then.  One is the one in $SUBJECT,
and the other is for suspended-but-enabled ports.  (You've argued the latter
would be handled by a separate mechanism; fair enough, but I'm pointing
out that it's still a regression.)

> If you think autostop should also check for device_may_wakeup(), I'll make
> it do so.  Remember though that autostop is intended to work even when
> CONFIG_PM is off.

The original autosuspend logic would never kick in without PM; after all,
it's purely a power saving mechanism!  And testing device_may_wakeup() will
be restoring that behavior, since without PM that's always false.

- Dave