Date:	Thu, 16 Nov 2006 16:22:16 +0100
From:	"Hesse, Christian" <mail@...thworm.de>
To:	"Marty Leisner" <leisner@...hester.rr.com>
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: RFC  -- /proc/patches to track development

On Wednesday 15 November 2006 02:17, Marty Leisner wrote:
> I always want to know WHAT I'm running (or people I'm working with
> are running) rather than  "guessing" ("do you have the most current
> patch" "I think so")
>
> I've been a proponent of capturing .config information SOMEPLACE where
> you can look at it at runtime...(it took a while but its there now).
>

> In /proc/patches there would be a series of comments (perhaps including
> file, date and time) of various patches you want to monitor.

I prepared such a patch [0] some time ago. It makes the file .patches in
kernel source tree available via /proc/patches.gz. Read the discussion on
lkml [1] to get more information. It still appies to actual kernels.

[0] http://www.earthworm.de/download/linux/patches.patch
[1]
http://groups.google.com/group/linux.kernel/browse_thread/thread/68497374c5870617/6cfc8eed92e9b7ff
--